Superior Fire Department ‘heats up’ during training in winter

Print Article

  • Superior Volunteer fire fighters were able to practice on a live fire at Sloway on Dec. 2. It was an abandoned structure donated by Isaiah McGuffy for training purposes. (Photo courtesy of Superior Volunteer Fire Department)

  • 1

    Superior Volunteer firefighters were able to have training on an abandoned building on Dec. 2. There are currently 16 volunteers, but the department could use more. (Photo courtesy of Superior Volunteer Fire Department)

  • Superior Volunteer fire fighters were able to practice on a live fire at Sloway on Dec. 2. It was an abandoned structure donated by Isaiah McGuffy for training purposes. (Photo courtesy of Superior Volunteer Fire Department)

  • 1

    Superior Volunteer firefighters were able to have training on an abandoned building on Dec. 2. There are currently 16 volunteers, but the department could use more. (Photo courtesy of Superior Volunteer Fire Department)

The Superior Volunteer Fire Department had the opportunity to do some live fire-fighting exercises on Sunday, Dec. 2. Volunteers met at Sloway Frontage Road where Isaiah McGuffey donated an abandoned building to the department. It was a 5,000-square foot raw wood building that was intended to be a house, but was never completed, said Fire Chief Steve Temple.

On Sunday morning, 16 volunteers broke into groups and trained on pressure ventilation and smoke and fire behavior as well as reading and structure protection. For the ventilation training, a giant fan was set up and crews learned how to position the fan and open the windows to let out smoke and heat.

Temple said a room filled with smoke and heat can cause dangerous “flashovers” and especially for the new volunteers, it was a good training experience. By afternoon, the entire structure burned to the ground and crews were able to further train on a full-structure fire.

During winter months, fireplaces are one of the leading causes of house fires, Temple said. Poorly designed wood stoves which contain a lot of elbows can cause heat to build up, or the homeowners simply make the fire too hot for the stove to handle, and an internal fire can break out.

Dirty chimneys can also ignite, especially when bull pine is used. It causes a buildup of creosote more quickly than cleaner burning woods like Douglas fir or larch. Chimney fires can be easily extinguished in most cases, but he said a recent fire at Tarkio was caused by chimney embers lighting dry leaves on the roof, which caused a more serious house fire.

Temple recommends people clean their chimneys at least once a year by using a chimney brush or calling a chimney sweep like Red Rover Montana in Missoula, which travels out to Mineral County.

Another important item is to have working fire alarms. The Superior Fire Department has once again teamed up with the American Red Cross and is offering free alarms to homeowners. They can receive up to three free alarms, which each have a 10-year battery life and come with fire safety training.

Another holiday feature that can help against electrical fires is to use LED Christmas lights. They don’t burn as hot and save on electricity. Other precautions homeowners should take is to make sure their Christmas trees are not too close to heaters, stoves or other heat sources. Also, according to the National Fire Protection Association, the top three days for home candle fires are Christmas, New Year’s Day and Christmas Eve.

For more information regarding the fire alarm program, or to volunteer as a fire fighter, contact Temple at 406-822-4900.

Print Article

Read More Local News

Renovated Whistle Stop is now Thompson Falls Laundry

March 20, 2019 at 4:43 pm | Clark Fork Valley Press When you think of a downtown renewal project, a laundromat might not be the first idea that comes to mind. But the Whistle Stop Laundromat is helping bring a fresh new feel to Thompson Falls’ Main St...

Comments

Read More

Superior student wins Keep Montana Green poster contest

March 20, 2019 at 1:25 pm | Mineral Independent Every year the Keep Montana Green Association holds a poster art contest and this year, Superior School’s Abigail Wheeler was the regional winner. She won in the intermediate division which is grades...

Comments

Read More

Support group started for grandparents raising grandchildren

March 20, 2019 at 1:25 pm | Mineral Independent In Montana, more than 7,400 grandparents are raising their grandchildren without parental involvement. These children come to them because of family crisis and the relative parents are often ill-equi...

Comments

Read More

Library celebrates third annual Pie Contest

March 20, 2019 at 1:23 pm | Mineral Independent Bakers young and old showed their stuff at the Mineral County Library third annual Pie Baking Contest on Saturday, March 16. Brandy Elhert in the children’s division won the overall prize with her Ke...

Comments

Read More

Contact Us

(406) 826-3402
105 W. Lynch
P.O. Box 667
Plains, MT 59859

©2019 Clark Fork Valley Press | Mineral Independent Terms of Use Privacy Policy
X
X