Alberton School was the victim of a rumored lock-down last week. There were reports of a student bringing a gun to school and the school having a lock-down.
“Alberton School did not have a gun or dangerous weapon in the school and we did not have a lock-down,” assured Alberton Superintendent Steve Picard.
Some local Missoula news stations had reported the incident which Picard said was “blown out of proportion.” A press release from the school said that it was reported to a staff member that a student had a weapon with him at school on Tuesday, Dec. 11. School administration took immediate action to detain the student and determine if there was a danger to students or staff.
Following a search of the student and his belongings, staff confirmed the student did not have a dangerous weapon with him, but did have contraband that is not permitted on school property.
Mineral County law enforcement was notified, and the district is addressing the matter through its disciplinary procedures. As a precaution, the staff have implemented additional safety protocols in the school and will continue to communicate with students and parents as necessary.
There was a meeting in the morning at the school regarding the incident, as well as the regularly scheduled school board meeting that evening. Approximately a dozen concerned parents and community members were at the meeting. Deputy Sheriff Ryan Funk is the law enforcement official who responded to the incident. People were assured that there was no need to worry, and the school had taken appropriate measures in accordance with the school’s policies and procedures.