County touts "Great American Smokeout"
Can you quit for a day??
The Great American Smokeout is coming! For over 40 years, this important event offers people the chance to quit tobacco for a day.
People can try quitting on for size - and they’ll see how strong they really are!
The Great American Smokeout is always held the Thursday before Thanksgiving. This year, the date to mark on the calendar is Thursday, Nov. 18.
Free quit kits will again be offered by Sanders County Tobacco Prevention Program. The goodie bags with treats, helpful tips and lots of information will be on the table near room 102 in the lower level of the Sanders County Courthouse, 1111 Main Street, Thompson Falls. They’ll be there, while supplies last, Monday through Thursday, Nov. 15 to 18.
“Quit Spit Kits” will also be available, for those who seek to quit using smokeless “chew” tobacco.
Tobacco users are encouraged to check out the helpful resources in the kits.
Some interesting facts:
- Nicotine that’s present in cigarettes is one of the strongest and mostly deadly addictions. Quitting is
hard. It takes commitment and starts with a plan.
- Quitting tobacco often takes more than one quit attempt.
- Quitting requires a lot of support – from family, friends and the community.
- Often, the younger that a person was when he or she started to smoke, the more intense the
- Fortunately, there are many quit line coaching programs available, and those who use them are more
likely to achieve success.
- People who smoke are strongly advised to use proven methods, which can also include nicotine
replacement (gum, patches or lozenges) and prescription medications. Talk with your doctor or pharmacist to get their advice.
For more, and to sign up for Montana’s free tobacco quit line, call 1-800-QUIT-NOW.
Other valuable information is at cancer.org/smokeout.
Sanders County Tobacco Prevention can be reached at 827-6901.
Sandra Gubel, Sanders County Tobacco Prevention Specialist